By ROBYN ZELICKSON
The Pima Community College Theatre Arts department will hold auditions for its Spring 2017 musical production of “In the Heights” on Nov. 28, 29 and 30 from 6 p.m. until late in the West Campus Center for the Arts.
PCC instructors Todd Poelstra, Mickey Nugent, Martha Reed and Mark Nelson will collaborate on the production.
“In the Heights,” set in the New York City neighborhood of Washington Heights, tells the story of Usnavi, a bodega owner who honors his roots but has big dreams for his future.
Themes of love, racism and identity dominate the community as Usnavi’s neighbors strive to build better lives for themselves and their children.
The music is full of Latin rhythms, contrasted by hip-hop lyrics.
The musical, based on a book by Quira Alegrua Hudes, was brought to life on Broadway by Lin-Manuel Miranda, who wrote the music and lyrics. Miranda is well-known for his recent success with the Tony Award-winning musical “Hamilton.”
“In the Heights” won 2008 Tony Awards for Best Musical, Best Original Score, Best Choreography and Best Orchestration.
Any registered PCC student is welcome to audition, regardless of major, year in school, age, ethnicity or gender. In order to be considered for a part, you must attend all three auditions.
The audition schedule covers three days:
Monday, Nov. 28: Dance audition
- Wear comfortable clothes and appropriate shoes.
- A short routine will be taught.
- Assigned groups of 10 will present the routine.
Tuesday, Nov. 29: Singing audition
- Bring an audition song selection. The selection must be appropriate but can come from any source, including rap, Spanish language, musical, popular music or from the production of “In the Heights.”
- Sixteen bars is the recommended length of the song, with a maximum length of 32 bars. Be prepared to present a short rap in addition to singing, if asked.
- Piano accompaniment (bring sheet music), CD and other playback equipment will be available.
Wednesday, Nov. 30: Acting audition
- Present readings from provided sides. (Sides will be available on Monday night.)
The cast list will be posted the morning of Thursday, Dec. 1.
The first rehearsal on Friday, Dec. 2, at 6 p.m. will include an introduction, script handout and the read-through.
For more information, contact Todd Poelstra at 206-6815 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“In the Heights” will open Feb. 23 and run through March 5 in the Center for the Arts Proscenium Theatre.