By JAMIE MAESE
The Pima Community College men’s team claimed first place at the Mesa Thunderbird Classic at Mesa Community College on Oct. 11, and the women’s team placed third.
The men’s team topped the team standings with 43 points. The top five Pima runners placed in the top 20 in a field of 80 runners.
Ahmed Mohamed was the top Pima finisher in the 4.97-mile race with a 12th place finish and a time of 26 minutes, 27.7 seconds.
Other top Aztec finishers were:
- Sophomore Estevan Gomez in 13th place at 26:28.8.
- Freshman Mark Bennett was 16th at 26:42.3
- Sophomore Anthony Spendlove finished in 17th place at 26:53.6.
- Freshman Amanuel Logo in 18th place at 26:54.6.
The Aztecs defeated Central Arizona College, Arizona Christian University, Mesa Community College, Grand Canyon University, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Navajo Tech University and Estrella Mountain Community College.
The Pima women’s team took third place overall but was the top junior college in the team standings with a score of 64 points.
Arizona Christian took first place with 42 points and Grand Canyon finished second with 56. The Aztecs defeated Central Arizona, Mesa, Navajo Tech and Estrella Mountain.
Sophomore Shanice Alchesay was the top Pima finisher, placing 15th out of 67 competitors in the 3.1-mile race with a time of 19:29.2.
Other top finishers for the Aztecs were:
- Sophomore Sarrah Boughan was 19th with a time of 19:53.6
- Freshman Mariah Zavala placed 22nd at 20:08.
- Freshman Raelene Yocupicio took 25th with a time of 20:16.1.
- Freshman Elizabeth Deaton finished in 27th place at 20:22.1.
The Aztecs will compete in the Mount SAC Invitational in Walnut, Calif., on Oct. 17. The women’s race will be at 10 a.m. and the men’s race will follow at 10:45 a.m.
Oct. 17: @ Mount SAC Invitational, Walnut, Calif.
Oct. 27: @ NJCAA regional women’s championships, Avondale, Ariz.
About the Author: